Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Dark Galaxy Won A Watty!




A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of a random phone call from a close friend. 
It felt odd to see her name light up my screen. I've been accustomed to the small print of her text notifications (a sign of our digi-addict times).
So, to say the least, I deemed it urgent.
And boy, was it urgent!

I WON A WATTY!
Not only did I win out of 75,000 competing works, I also won in a category the first of its kind:
"Hot Genre Award: Urban Fiction"
What the heck?!
After crying and squealing like a sugar rushed toddler, I digested the event I never anticipated.

You see, I didn't imagine winning. And when I did, it felt extremely out of reach. I have a small yet loyal readership. My Wattpad persona isn't exactly the most popular or publicized and for the 2 years I've been on Wattpad, I knew this to be vital to success. I made it a point to do no advertising or go out of my way to attract a wider audience. Nothing else mattered to me besides completing the second draft of the novel and perfecting its pace and structure. The idea of winning was not on my side. I was a complete underdog.


So how in the world did I win? Honestly, I don't know. For once in my life, I won't second guess or analyze what brought me to it. Maybe because I know how tough and long I've worked to have this body of work recognized. 
Seriously, it's been days, weeks, months and over a decade.
But I will say I entered with the intention of growth. I wanted to be unafraid and less shy. I wanted teflon skin when it came to sharing Dark Galaxy. Otherwise, my dreams and effort would all be in vain.
I don't want to be a dream deferred. Full potential must be attempted, if not reached.
I doubt and fall victim to my fears and self loathing. This perhaps explains the gaps and lulls of production over the years. But with Wattpad, and the readers I've met, I've sustained the passion and confidence to make Dark Galaxy what it deserves to be.
I've never worked so hard at anything in my life--and still, I've never enjoyed working at anything more.
Just as Alexia finds her voice, confidence and light in the novel--I found mine.
She had the help of her friends.
I had the help of you all.

So hugs, thanks and hugs again to every single one of you who's read Dark Galaxy: Emerge and fallen in love with it. You've given me something money could never buy.

XOXO,
T


No comments:

Post a Comment